Both night guards and sports guards are made for and used to protect your teeth, however, they protect your teeth in different ways.
- The most popular and common treatment for teeth grinding and clenching (bruxism)
- they don’t prevent the clenching or grinding, but rather helps prevent damage or further damage to the teeth surfaces from being worn down from the nightly grinding and clenching
- your dentist can have these custom made appliances so they fit comfortably
- typically made from durable hard acrylic plastic
- covers the occlusal surface of your teeth
- worn whenever you are sleeping; nightly or during naps
- an appliance prescribed to an athlete to protect the teeth from being damaged from a physical blow to the face or an accident
- made from a softer material than a dental mouth guard so that can absorb the force of sudden impacts
- covers the entire jaw and gums, so that the entire mouth can be protected
- different dyes can be added to the acrylic material to match your team colors
While both types of guards may be available in sports stores or pharmacies, for the best results and coverage, speak to your dentist for the best and most effective treatment and custom-made dental guards for comfort.
For a lifetime of healthy teeth, Albright’s Dental Practice offers a wide range of dental services in a relaxed atmosphere with the latest equipment.
2804 Walbert Ave.
Serving the Greater Lehigh Valley, PA Area